Buzz: to infinity and beyond

This is the hardest post and one I thought I wouldn’t have to do for a very long time. Last Friday night we rushed Buzz to the emergency Vet because Buzz wasn’t being himself and threw up twice earlier in the day. After getting to see the x-rays of Buzz's stomach, we knew it was going to be an uphill battle. We figured out that Buzz got into our friend's dog food that was super packed with fiber and it clogged his digestive tract. He ate so much that it was putting pressure on his little diaphragm and making hard for him to breathe. So we left him over night to get some enemas and clear out his system of all the food he ate. We thought that would be it but as it turned out when he vomited he inhaled some into his lungs causing him to get aspiration pneumonia and then it was all downhill from there. His little body did the best it could and tripled his white blood cell count to fight the infection. The vets gave him as many drugs as they could to help him out but it turned out to be too much.

His last day was the toughest. Buzz was in an oxygen tank and struggling for every little breath he could get. We left that morning with plans to come back at night but God had other plans. As we were down at Kelli’s work to get her substitute teacher plans ready, cause she wasn’t planning on going in due to Buzz’s condition, we got the call from the Vet that we were not expecting. Buzz stopped breathing. It was like my heart fell out of my chest and there was nothing we could do.

We drove up from Mira Mesa to San Marcos in record time to something we never wanted to go to. Knowing inside it wouldn’t make a difference, we gave it our best to see him one more time before his time was up. We didn’t make it in time. We walked into the Vet’s as they were wheeling him on the cart into a room so we could say our goodbyes. That was the toughest cause our little buzz wasn’t himself anymore, it was just his earthly body and not his joyful bouncy spirit which everyone loved him for. It was as if life was going so slow as I petted him and felt his little paws. I eventually lifted him off his metal bed and took him in my arms and sat on the sofa. It was so strange to feel a cold stiff body that was once warm and kissing me every chance he got. Fortunately, Kelli, my mom and James were there alongside me to comfort and console me but I still felt alone without my best four-legged friend there.

We went home after that and cried as we saw all his toys on the ground and collar on the counter sitting there as if it too was waiting for Buzz to come home. Holding his little stuffed bulldog and his collar, Kelli and cried ourselves to sleep till the afternoon. Knowing we weren’t going to be able to sleep in our own house for the night we went to our friends Debra and James’ house and slept on their floor. Sleeping that night was really tough and I dreamt of Buzz being Buzz only to be woken up by Debra yelling at me that she is pregnant. It is funny how God takes and gives.

So I made this video/slideshow of Buzz growing up. Its pretty close to his timeline give or take a few days here and there but it’s fun to see him grow up and become the Bulldog that stole everyone’s hearts. I ended the video with my favorite clip of Buzz where he is driving my car.

Thank you so much to the people that loved him as much as we did, or at least tried to love him as much as we did. Thank you for your love and prayers. Thank you Lord, for allowing us to be blessed by your little angel.

Please watch it and remember the good times and enjoy the happiest times of our lives… and his.





5 comments:

Michelle said...

I am so sorry. I wish there were better words. Rest easy, little Buzz.

bann said...

My heart aches for you and Kelli. The video is clear demonstration of what a special and cherished little boy your Buzz was. Know that I continue to pray for you in this time of such loss.

codyfrew said...

This must have been such a difficult post to write- it was difficult to read. I'm so sorry for you guys.

Deann B. said...

Dylan & Kelli,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Buzz. He was well loved while he was here... we all saw it through your blog pictures and posts. You all are in my thoughts in this tough, tough time.

Carolann said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Buzz :( I know how much he meant to both you and Kelli. Much love to you both and we'll keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers. ::Hugs::